Thursday, April 2, 2020

Monarch Revisited


Inching o’er the milkweed stalk
munching leaves around the clock;
it has no time to stop and talk,
but continues on its hungry walk
feasting throughout the day.
Until at last it can begin,
to spin and spin and spin,
before retreating deep within,
hanging in a grand display.
On the branch, bundled; sleeping
resting from its insect creeping
in renewal steeping
tucked away from gazes peeping;
the chrysalis sways.
And morphs from gentle green to clear
until at last the cracks appear
now it’s time for the premier:
watch the tenant fly away.
Flitting now from flower to flower,
glorying in its newfound power;
as it wiles away the hour
monarch of this fragrant bower
lights upon a purple spray.
Glances o’er its fertile land,
where mint and lilac hand in hand
fan out like jewels in vistas grand
under the sun’s dazzling rays.



I started this poem back in 2019, updated it back in February, and then revisited it again now. I think I'm done at this point, but who knows! Shared with dVerse for OpenLinkNight.



3 comments:

  1. A beautiful poem! Monarchs are such wonderful creatures! It is amazing they survive year after year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the description of all that eating until "retreating deep within",

    ReplyDelete
  3. It reads out loud very well and I love the vista that opens up at the end. Enjoyable poem.

    ReplyDelete